Albania’s ruling Socialist Party will launch proceedings in the parliament to dismiss President Ilir Meta after the president signed a decree cancelling the June 30 local elections, a party statement said on Monday.
Meta said on June 8 he would cancel the local elections as conditions do not exist for “true, democratic, representative and all-inclusive elections”. His decision follows months of increasingly violent protests in Tirana and an opposition boycott of the parliament. The country’s two main opposition parties, the Democratic Party and Socialist Movement for Integration (LSI), say they will not take part in the local elections.
Calling Meta’s move a “brutal act”, Socialist Party spokesperson Elisa Spiropali told journalists: “Ilir Meta has lost the right to remain in office as the president of the republic and the Albanian parliament will begin the procedure for his dismissal.”
The ruling party plans to hold parliamentary debate at plenary session Thursday to put forward the arguments for Meta’s dismissal. “It is our political duty to protect the constitution, the constitutional order and the parliamentary republic,” Spiropali said after a meeting of party leadership.
The Socialists have 75 seats in the 140-seat parliament, having won an outright majority in the June 2017 general election, but 95 votes are required to impeach the president.
Albania: Bulldozers demolish restaurant after owner attacks Spanish tourists
Albanian officials bulldozed a beachfront restaurant whose owner was caught on camera attacking a car rented by Spanish tourists. The incident, filmed by the victims’ tour guide from inside their vehicle, took place last weekend in Porto-Palermo on the Ionian coast in southern Albania, a popular tourist spot.
The restaurant, whose owner made it to the front page chasing tourists on the hood of their car last weekend, is being demolished due to lack of license and tax evasion.
The viral video shows the restaurateur punching through the windshield of the vehicle and ripping the glass while he clings to the bonnet for several minutes as the tourists drive away.
The restaurant owner, 51-year-old Mihal Kokedhima, was arrested and faces trial for “verbally assaulting a group of Spanish tourists for futile reasons”, damaging their car and causing minor injuries, police said.
According to local media reports, the tourists were not happy with the service at the restaurant and left after the owner became aggressive.
Kokedhima told the court the Spaniards had tried to leave without paying.
During their probe, officials found that his restaurant “Panorma” had been built without an official permit three years ago and that no taxes were ever paid. On Wednesday, a demolition team bulldozed the restaurant.
Albanian officials apologised to the Spanish tourists while Prime Minister Edi Rama condemned “the barbarian who attacked our Spanish friends and violated the sacred code of Albanian hospitality”.
Serbian president makes unannounced visit to New York
Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic is heading to New York for talks with U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo at the UN headquarters.
The main topic for discussion at the meeting, slated for Tuesday, is the situation in Kosovo.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will address the UN Security Council on Tuesday in a speech that will focus on Iran after the recent tanker attacks near the Strait of Hormuz. The US diplomat will speak during a council meeting about challenges to peace and security in the Middle East.
Pompeo’s trip to the UN comes after skirmishes in the Gulf over the summer that have heightened the prospect of US military action against Tehran. The Secretary will also meet with UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on the sidelines of the event.
Bulgarian police seize 120.000 fake euros and Macedonian denars
Bulgarian police have reportedly seized 122.000 euros in fake banknotes and arrested a group of suspected distributors of counterfeit currency.
Six people were taken into custody on Friday after officers raided an apartment and found counterfeit currency. The cash included banknotes of 200 euros – adding up to a total face of 122.000, Bgnews agency said on Friday.
During the raid, officers also seized mobile phones, copies of checks from a Turkish bank, US dollars, Macedonian denars.
According to investigation findings, the group of counterfeiters was set up in 2018. They are accused of taking part in crime group, possession and distribution of counterfeit euro banknotes on the territory of Bulgaria.
- Macedonia3 months ago
Dimitrov set for two-day state visit to Romania
- Region3 months ago
We are pleased with successful endeavors of our neighbors, says Zaev at Corridor-10 south leg opening ceremony
- Region2 months ago
New Bild wiretaps implicate Albanian PM Rama in vote rigging, he threatens to sue German journalist
- Macedonia2 months ago
Zaev: No EU country opposes opening accession talks with North Macedonia
- Region3 months ago
Serbia Blasts EU’s Silence on Kosovo’s Refusal to Implement Brussels Agreement
- World2 months ago
Moscow Shrugs Off Calls of US Nominee for UN Ambassador to up Pressure on Russia
- Region2 months ago
Clinton: Kosovo sets example of democracy, it deserves EU, NATO membership
- Region1 month ago
Slovenia set to erect 40-km fence along border with Croatia to control migrant flow