A Facebook page belonging to a far-left Italian group has said that 16-year-old Desirèe Mariottini was “lucky” after being drugged, raped, and murdered, allegedly by a group of migrants, because she’s seen as a victim.
The post, which was put up on the Potere al Popolo or “Power to the People” page, says that the murdered 16-year-old was “lucky” to be killed by migrants saying that there would not be as much outrage among regular Italians if her alleged killers were not migrants, Il Giornale reports.
“It highlights that there are no rights actually recognised for women, everything depends on those who hurt you,” the author, who is part of an “anti-racist” group said.
“Desirèe’s fortune is the tragedy of thousands of women abused and harassed by Italian men,” the author said and added, “Days pass and Desirèe gets more and more innocent: she was a junkie but now maybe they drugged her behind her back, indeed she was not even looking for drugs.”
Italian police have arrested three migrant men, two Senegalese and one Nigerian, in connection with the alleged drugging, rape and murder of 16-year-old Desirée Mariottini. The murder of the teen in the San Lorenzo quarter of Rome shocked many in Italy including populist Interior Minister Matteo Salvini who said, “I will do everything to make the worms guilty of this horror pay,” following the arrest of two Senegalese migrant men and a Nigerian illegal migrant who were all thought to have been involved with the crime.
Prosecutors in the case have said they believe that the teen was drugged to keep her unconscious during the rape but also proposed that the men who drugged her gave her enough to cause her death on purpose.
The murder is just the latest high profile case to involve migrants in Italy this year. Earlier this year, shortly before the Italian general election, a Nigerian drug dealer was arrested in connection with the brutal killing of 18-year-old Pamela Mastropietro whose body was dismembered and left in suitcases by the side of a road in Macerata.
China, U.S. Agree to Cancel Tariffs in Phases
China and the United States have agreed to cancel in phases the tariffs imposed during their months-long trade war, the Chinese commerce ministry said on Thursday, without specifying a timetable, Reuters informs.
An interim U.S.-China trade deal is widely expected to include a U.S. pledge to scrap tariffs scheduled for Dec. 15 on about $156 billion worth of Chinese imports, including cell phones, laptop computers and toys, Reuters adds.
Tariff cancellation was an important condition for any agreement, ministry spokesman Gao Feng said, adding that both must simultaneously cancel some tariffs on each other’s goods to reach a “phase one” trade deal.
“The trade war started with tariffs, and should end with the cancellation of tariffs,” Gao told a regular news briefing.
The proportion of tariffs cancelled for both sides to reach a “phase one” deal must be the same, but the number to be cancelled can be negotiated, he added, without elaborating. “In the past two weeks, the lead negotiators from both sides have had serious and constructive discussions on resolving various core concerns appropriately,” Gao said.
“Both sides have agreed to cancel additional tariffs in different phases, as both sides make progress in their negotiations.”
A source previously told Reuters that Chinese negotiators wanted the United States to drop 15% tariffs on about $125 billion worth of Chinese goods that took effect on September 1.
They also sought relief from earlier 25% tariffs on about $250 billion of imports, ranging from machinery and semiconductors to furniture.
Former Obama Officials Pledge Support to Biden as He Trails Top Rivals in Money Race
In a flex of establishment muscle, a slew of former Obama administration officials came out on Wednesday to support Joe Biden’s Democratic U.S. presidential bid at a time when he is fighting to maintain his front-runner status, Reuters informs.
Biden, 76, who was vice president for eight years under Barack Obama, was the guest at a fundraiser that marked the latest effort by his allies to confront the mounting threat posed in polls and fundraising by his top Democratic rival, U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren.
Warren, a progressive who promotes sweeping institutional change, has vowed to change the way Washington does business. Biden has become increasingly reliant on the Democratic political establishment to repel her charge.
Last month, a cadre of Biden’s loyalists launched a Super PAC, something Biden previously resisted. The political action committee allows wealthy donors to give unlimited amounts to support his candidacy. Warren, by contrast, largely accepts only small, online donations, Reuters adds.
Biden and Warren sit atop most national opinion polls, with Warren holding an edge in the early voting states of Iowa and New Hampshire and Biden running strongly in other states.
Overall, 17 Democrats are seeking the party’s nomination to take on Republican President Donald Trump in the November 2020 presidential election.
Biden also has stepped up his attacks on Warren, particularly her embrace of single-payer, government-run healthcare. He has increasingly painted Warren, a Harvard University law professor and senator from Massachusetts, as a condescending “elitist” who would not be able to unite a country polarized by Trump’s presidency.
White House New Hires to Boost Trump Impeachment Defense
The White House is expected to recruit two advisers to take a more aggressive posture in defending President Donald Trump in the congressional impeachment inquiry over his dealings with Ukraine, a senior administration official said on Wednesday, Reuters reported.
The first public hearings are set for next week in the Democratic-led U.S. House of Representatives. The White House has been conducting an internal review to determine the events surrounding Trump’s July 25 phone call with Ukraine President Volodymr Zelenskiy, the official said.
A second senior administration official said the review of the events, which led to a whistleblower complaint followed by House committees hearing testimony in October, was not an investigation but rather a “fact-finding mission.”
William Taylor, the top U.S. diplomat in Ukraine, has provided some of the most damaging testimony to date. He said that Trump made the release of nearly $400 million in security aid to Ukraine contingent on Kiev publicly declaring it would carry out politically motivated investigations demanded by Trump against former U.S. Vice President Joe Biden, Reuters adds.
The two outside advisers are former Florida state attorney general Pam Bondi, a Trump ally, and former Treasury Department spokesman Tony Sayegh, who had resigned earlier this year after joining the administration from its early days.
“Pam Bondi and Tony Sayegh are expected to join the White House communications team to work on proactive impeachment messaging and other special projects as they arise,” the first administration official said.
Trump had voiced opposition to bringing in aides, believing he did nothing wrong and that to bring in new advisers would make him look weak, a source familiar with the situation said.
- Region3 weeks ago
Vucic insists on EU membership guarantee as part of Kosovo deal
- Macedonia2 weeks ago
Arrest warrant issued for Spasov
- World3 weeks ago
Tesla’s Surprise Profit Answers Skeptics
- World3 months ago
IWPG’s Relentless Pursuit of Global Peace Offers New Hope
- Region1 month ago
Kurti: Albanians’ national unification cannot happen in EU
- Macedonia3 weeks ago
Pendarovski due in Albania tomorrow
- World2 months ago
Space Force Formal Launch Pegged Back Due to Cost
- Top1 week ago
China, U.S. Agree to Cancel Tariffs in Phases